Thursday, August 14, 2014

Writer's Notebook Setup~Due Friday


Writer’s Notebook Set-up

Your Writer’s Notebook (College Ruled Composition Notebook) is the place you will do much of your writing, thinking, note-taking, and responding in this class. It is a reflection of how much effort and engagement you have with the course. Take good care of it and always do your best work. Notebooks will be collected and credit will be given throughout the semester.

1.     Number all pages, bottom right corner, starting with the first page.
2.     Page 1 is for any inspiring or meaningful quotes you collect throughout the semester. It can be designed or decorated any way you like.
3.     On page 2 and 3 write “Table of Contents” on the top line. In the left margin write Date, right margin write Page.
4.     Record all assignments in the table of contents as you do them, with date, title, and page (do not skip lines between assignments).
5.     Be sure to title and write the date on the page where the assignment is completed. Some assignments may span multiple pages. 
6.     Title Page 4 “Rules for Productivity and Positivity: First Five Weeks.”
Using the ideas in the “Cherokee Wolf” parable, as well as any quotes or ideas on Ms. Witham’s Golden Rules, write a rationale (the reasons behind your rules) and a list of rules for yourself regarding productivity and positivity for the first weeks of school. These are your personal rules for yourself. They should be specific and measureable. See Ms. Witham’s for an example.  


Ms. Witham’s Rules for Productivity and Positivity: First Five Weeks

Rationale: In order to continually practice the ideas expressed in the “Cherokee Wolf” parable, I want to make sure I am “feeding” the positive wolf, and starving the “negative.” I am trying to create balance in my professional and personal life, while still providing my students with rigorous, meaningful work and feedback.

1.     I will maintain a balance between my own writing life and my teaching life by ensuring that I devote at least 30 minutes a day (mornings) to my own writing.
2.     I will plan projects and essays so that I can review rubrics and models before students begin their work.
3.     I will create firm deadlines and support students in meeting them.
4.     I will look for what is going well in the class and limit my attention to nonsense.
5.     When I am with my son, I will be fully present, and not try to lesson plan in my head. 

No comments:

Post a Comment